02 July 2010

Off the rails

Having just had a rant about rail links to Melbourne Airport, here's a true story about transferring from Paddington Station to Heathrow Airport.

Last year I stayed for my last few days in London at a hotel in Bayswater, conveniently close to Paddington in order to catch the Heathrow Express.  In previous years I stayed in Earl's Court, and took the Piccadilly Line, but as 2009 was going to be the last UK trip for a little while, I decided to give the express train a go.  I bought the ticket the day before traveling.

On the way to the station, I took a detour which meant I walked around a very large block before finding the station.  About 200 metres from the station, a taxi pulled up and the driver leaned out the window to say that the trains were down and the easiest way of getting to the airport would be to jump in his car and pay forty pounds for a fare to Heathrow.  I decided to walk to the station and take my chances.

The trains were working perfectly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment