10 September 2010

Non-vocal, day two

It all happened very quickly.  On Wednesday, after a couple of days of feeling a bit off kilter, I got in the car after the second choir rehearsal for the week and by the time I arrived at home (c30 min) my voice had gone.  This is the second time for the year -- something of a record for me!

On Thursday I had the three-hour marathon at the AYC, with my voice reduced to a whisper.  No singing, but plenty of rasping.  It was an interesting exercise -- every question was asked in something approaching the vox mystica, and most of the answers came sotto voce.

So, here's a little bit of folk devotion.  St Blaise is the patron of coughs and throat impediments: part of his legend is that, on the way to his martyrdom, he healed a child choking on a fish bone. He is typically portrayed in iconography with two candles held cross-wise.  Go here and here to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment