20 November 2010

Style

A very kind correspondent sent me a link to a site titled I Write Like.

It's a pretty diverting website.  You paste in a chunk of something you've written, hit the button, and an algorithm generates an analysis of your style.  It then tells me I write like the following:

H.P. Lovecraft
James Joyce
David Foster Wallace
Arthur Conan Doyle

It seems that my style changes according to the subject.  Lovecraftian prose results from writing about organ music (maybe it's appropriate enough, given Lovecraft's profile as a pioneer in weird fiction).  I write with a Joycean accent when delivering my findings about the development of public music examinations in Melbourne.  Wallace appeared in response to a short political essay.  And my doctoral thesis was apparently written in the voice of the narrative of Sherlock Holmes!


I write like
H. P. Lovecraft
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment