18 April 2011

Things that remind you the world is OK

This is the second-busiest week in the year for me, as you'll see with various blog entries popping up over the next few days.

Holy Week is one of the most stressful times of the year.  There's a sequence of once-a-year services, and these have to be done right in order to be worthwhile.  As for the musicians, well, there's a lot of singing to pack into about 36 hours at the end of the week.  Every group within a parish has its fair share of control-freakery, and this is generally the week that brings it out in full force.

Sometimes it's good to remember that there are other things in the world, some of them very fine indeed.

I was stuck in traffic on my way home from the morning round yesterday, and ABC FM did something rather wonderful.  Without making a big deal, they played Elgar's first Symphony.  (No doubt the presenter will be censured for not making the compulsory irritating offhand remark before hitting play.)  Sadly, this is a piece I don't know very well -- but intend to make up for that shortcoming in quick order.

To be stuck as a captive listener was a pleasure for once.  The Symphony was utterly spellbinding after spending the morning in an incense-drenched temple, and really made the remainder of the day seem much less of a drag.  The main theme has been the leitmotif of my day.  It never ceases to amaze me how Elgar could come up with these wonderfully memorable themes.  I thought I'd share it, so here is the whole hour of loveliness for you to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment