25 May 2011

Another version of the Rapture

I often encounter people who are a little baffled by my not having a Facebook account.  When I say it's a matter of principle -- not wanting my private information to be trawled any further than necessary for the benefit of advertisers -- most of my questioners nod sagely and remark what a wise principle it is.

I've spent years waging a quiet campaign against telemarketers (I know the poor souls who make the calls are but cannon fodder), ranging from launching the discussion into a bizarre world beyond the script to simply asking them to tell me more and putting the receiver down until they go away.  Then there are the more direct methods, such as telling them to take my number off the list.

Telemarketers are an intrusive presence in our lives, but Facebook is something altogether more worrisome.  Their business model is data mining, often obtaining information by less than completely open means.  I also have a strong objection to the effect it has on the way people interact in the real world.

This is why I commend the following event to you:


No comments:

Post a Comment