07 December 2012

Published again!

Another book chapter has appeared, although I missed it when it came on to the market from the publisher.  The launch is next week.

This chapter came from another conference paper, actually the first piece of writing I did after the thesis was completely out of the way.  I spent about four years running hot and cold on George W.L. Marshall-Hall, probably a reflection that he's an unavoidable fact of writing about music history in Melbourne even when you're dealing with someone else.  I admire his gadfly side, insisting on absolute freedom in the development of the students at his conservatorium, but I still find it very hard to square this with the realities of having to teach something about music in a useful way.  My paper was called Superman and Society, which summed up the effort of trying to tease out some of the similarities and differences between Marshall-Hall and his successor in the Ormond Chair of Music, Franklin Peterson.