17 September 2013

A surprising find

It's been a while since I last uttered that name of names in music theory, Ebenezer Prout, in this place.

Some people are very unkind about Prout, not least Hubert Parry with his satirical verse in the style of Prout's own mnemonics for Bach's fugue subjects:
Old Ebenezer Prout is a very clever man,
but he can't write fugues like John Sebastian...
I think the fact that Prout's treatises were standard university textbooks for a very long time might have something to do with this.  I'm a fully signed-up member of the Aldwell & Schachter survivors club, for that matter, and occasionally have guilty relapses into my undergraduate harmony text.

Still, I think Prout was about as gifted as any of the good composers of his generation, and like them he had his good days.  This organ concerto appeared on YouTube, and certainly comes from one of Prout's good days.  Enjoy!