24 January 2015

Second prize-winners of the world: unite!

Stephen Fry's latest volume of memoirs is proving an entertaining read, even the lengthy chapter re-telling much of the previous two books offers some new sidelights. However, as a perpetual second-placer in every competition I've entered, here's an encouraging nugget:
I once judged a reading competition at Harrow School...I awarded one of the schoolboys, who went by the exotic name of Benedict Cumberbatch, second prize. Second. I cannot remember the name of the boy who won first, but I hope he will suddenly burst on to the acting scene, blow Benedict out of the water and finally vindicate my judgement. Something tells me that the contingency is a remote one, and I shall continue to look upon myself as the fisherman who let the big one go.
More Fool Me (Penguin: London, 2014), 119

No comments:

Post a Comment