16 November 2011

The bookshelf

My reading list disappeared with the sidebars, and there have been a few emails wondering if I could find another way of sharing what I've been reading.

The sidebar was a continuation of the Endnote habit, whereby I kept bibliographic details of all books related to my research.  This meant that I could be certain of having everything in order when it came time to assemble footnotes while writing.

My reading habits are fairly consistent, in that I'm usually tackling two or three things at once.  So it's usual for me to have one big book going, with a steady stream of smaller books.

The big book I've been reading slowing for the last four months is Composing the Citizen (Jann Pasler).  Only one chapter left to go, but it's going to have to wait until a completely clear day comes up, meaning it will be done in early-December.

The stream of smaller books is as follows:

Orientalism, Masquerade and Mozart's Turkish Music (RMA Monographs, 9) -- Matthew Head
The Master: the Life and Work of Edward H. Sugden -- Renate Howe (ed.)
Marxism and Literary Criticism -- Terry Eagleton
The Hope of Things to Come -- Mark Chapman (ed.)
Space for Grace: Creating Inclusive Churches -- Giles Goddard
Realizations: Newman's Own Selection of his Sermons -- J.H. Newman (ed. V.F. Blehl)
The Discourse of Musicology -- Giles Hooper
Poems -- Francis Thompson
Poems in the Porch -- John Betjeman
If you Meet George Herbert on the Road, Kill Him -- Justin Lewis-Anthony
Come Celebrate: Contemporary Hymns -- Michael Saward (ed.)
Newman's Unquiet Grave: the Reluctant Saint -- John Cornwell
Collected Poems -- Philip Larkin
An Equal Music -- Vikram Seth
Smut -- Alan Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment