06 November 2012

More from St Ignatius


Here are a couple of items from the concert at St Ignatius a couple of weeks ago.  Click the titles to hear the recordings.

Prelude in G -- Camille Saint-Saens
Prelude and Fugue in c minor -- Felix Mendelssohn (note, it's two files, so two links)



I was playing this recital somewhat handicapped.  I was knocked off my my bike while riding to work the previous Monday by a car coming out of a blind driveway.  I was riding on a shared path, not on the road.  No bones broken, but a lot of tendon strain up my left arm, as I landed on my left hand and all the energy of the fall stopped at the elbow.  The bruising has started to go down, and in the next few days I'll be off to a physiotherapist in order to make sure things are healing up the right way.

The main effect of the accident was that I had a lot of pain in the left arm and right leg, although I retained enough mobility in the limbs to still seriously contemplate playing an organ recital just a few days later.  Playing trio textures ended up being less stressful work than dealing with the big block chords in the Mendelssohn, although I think the microphone was far enough away that you don't hear me saying 'ouch' through most of the piece.