23 August 2010

Scarlet day

It's been a big weekend.  There was a federal election on Saturday, but something much more important was going on up at Melbourne University.  I got to stand in front of the Chancellor and doff my hat.

Pre-ceremonial coffee fix done, getting dressed in the Brunetti robing room.

Dr Crichton re-evaluated the career of Franklin Peterson, second Ormond Professor of Music in the University of Melbourne, whose role in the development of music as a professionally-oriented discipline in the early twentieth century has been greatly underestimated.  Using many hitherto unknown documents, he showed how Peterson established a performance-based music degree, adopted through Australian Universities.

Off into the sunset?  More like the Grand Buffet for the post-ceremony bunfight.
The choice of day was largely determined by the game of diary co-ordination with my supervisors, being about the fourth time in five years where we've all been in the same room together.  One of them was acting Vice Chancellor for the day, so he was securely ensconced on the throne.  He sat behind the Chancellor while my citation was read, beaming out with a whimsical look.  I nearly lost it when I caught his eye.

Interior, Wilson Hall.  I was seated in the back row on the left.  The rather Jetsons-esque thrones are of recent make; the ceremonial chairs which formed part of the original furnishings were like TARDISes.  In accordance with Modernist principles, the original stage arrangements were resolutely asymmetrical.  Later developments have "set things right."  I suppose it's an improvement on sitting the important folks off in a corner.

I was so seized with suppressed mirth that I forgot to doff to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies on the way back to my seat.  I'm told it didn't invalidate the rite, although it was a minor failure of decorum.

No comments:

Post a Comment